Supporting ELs is Everyone's Responsibility.
Become a School-Wide English Learning (SWEL) Coach.
Language teachers are often asked to lead workshops and support their colleagues’ instruction
, but they rarely have access to the training needed to accomplish this work efficiently,
effectively, and with confidence. The Teacher Leadership for School-Wide English Learning (SWEL) workshop series prepares language teachers to share their expertise with colleagues through collaborative discussions and observations.
It is a systematic framework that recognizes teacher professional learning is most effective when it is in-house.
Learn more from Michelle Benegas, one of the SWEL framework developers and workshop presenters:
Benefits for ESL Teachers
- Develop enhanced expertise in non-evaluative peer instructional coaching and delivery of professional development to groups that is customized to local needs and supports general education teacher colleagues in feeling more prepared to meet the needs of their language learners.
- Choose from a variety of prepared and flexible professional development materials.
- Create a plan of action for your responsibilities related to supporting general education colleagues in their work with language learners.
- Gain confidence in your expertise related to second language acquisition.
- Ensure support for language learners throughout the school day, not just when you are able to work directly with your students.
Additional Benefits for General Education Teachers
For their time and effort, general education teachers will gain the following:
- Non-evaluative, coaching observations designed to help general education teachers to set their own learning goals related to working with language learners.
- Participation in language learner-focused professional development and coaching conversations through collaboration with a SWEL coach.
- Ongoing access to a building-level SWEL coach.
The SWEL framework is intended for multiple audiences, including ESL teachers, administrators, and general education teachers.
SWEL Certificate Workshop Series:
ESL teachers are the primary audience for the SWEL Certificate Workshop Series, with special sessions that include their school administrators. ESL teachers who complete all three SWEL certificate workshops earn a TESOL certificate and digital badge.
For an additional fee of $195 per workshop, teachers can earn one graduate credit. After registering, email email@example.com if you would like to arrange for
The certificate series consists of three workshops, including:
SWEL Teams: SWEL teams bring together ESL teachers who have completed the SWEL certificate, general education colleagues who partner with them, and administrators for focused collaborative training that develops skills and strategies for supporting language learners.
SWEL Teacher Leader Professional Learning Community: ESL teachers who have completed the SWEL certificate workshop series participate in this ongoing professional development, which is designed to support the non-evaluative peer coaching and professional development work they are doing in their schools.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.